Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Word Choice

I just took a walk around the neighborhood and even in doing that, the power of words and word choice was again driven home.

First off ... a nearby residence that had been for sale now has a second sign on it: BOUGHT. Yup, not sold, but bought. Different message. A carefully chosen word.

Unrelated on another FOR SALE sign, a realtor had added their slogan: Treating You Like Family.

Ahhh, yes. Family. A powerful word. Contrast the use on that sign with the ad I overheard on a radio just before I had rounded the corner to see that sign. The ad was for a weight-loss product I'll dub xxxxxxxx. And the ad said....

"Thanks to xxxxxxxx, some of my own family doesn't even recognize me anymore!"

Yes, indeedy. I'm sure the family members are grateful, too.

Thinking about words and word choice is why I started Fibbing (see those links over to the right of the blog under The Fibs for more of an explanation), but laughing at words and word choice goes back wayyyyyyyyy longer. And who knows, maybe that's why I'm a writer? Either that or it's just cuz I hate shaving.

More later, but for now, I gotta book.

No comments: