Friday, April 10, 2009

Bruce Lansky - Rules for Spot

Rules for Spot
by
Bruce Lansky

Don't run after cars
when they drive down our street.
Don't leave doggy paw marks
on fresh-poured concrete.

Don't bark at the mail man;
the poor man will pout.
Don't bite bible salesmen;
they might cuss you out.

Don't drink from the toilet,
your breath won't smell great.
And mom won't be thrilled when
you eat off her plate.

Don't whine late at night
so I'll open the door.
If I'm sleeping, don't wake me;
Just "go" on the floor.

I wrote down these rules,
which I hoped would be followed.
Spot thought it was homework.
So, he chewed it and swallowed.

©2009 Bruce Lansky. All rights reserved.


Bruce Lansky knows funny. In fact, as the editor and publisher of Miles of Smiles and other books in the Kids Pick the Funniest Poems series, I doubt there's anyone with more hands on experience about what kids like when it comes to funny verse. But besides knowing funny, Bruce Lansky IS funny. He brings wit and fun and silliness and a keen eye to writing poems that tickle funnybones. And if you've never been to his Giggle Poetry website, you're missing a fantastic resource (as well as a lot of laughs). I love to laugh and love to have kids laugh when I read them a poem, so I am particularly pleased to have Bruce Lansky here as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

It's Poetry Friday! Why not go visit the roundup of posts over at Carol's Corner so you can see what else is going on poetically in the Kidlitosphere. Last week there were over 80 posts on things poetic (poems, interviews, reviews, prompts, you name it). Good times. Goooood times.

Yesterday we saw Joyce Sidman's pantoum, Spring is the Time. Tomorrow... Avis Harley's Perfect Pitch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love having a little bit of Lansky to make me smile.

Thanks again for giving all these great poets an opportunity to share with us.

Anonymous said...

That got laughs from my kids this morning. Thank you!

Kelly Polark said...

I love dogs, and I love funny poetry. So I love it!
Bruce Lansky's poems always crack me up!

John Mutford said...

This would be a great one for kids to attempt.

As a bit of an aside, do you think it's possible to choose whether or not to capitalize Bible/bible without making a political statement? I found that thought distracting in the 2nd stanza.

Tarie Sabido said...

I know this is stating the obvious but... That poem is funny! :D

Liz in Ink said...

I am reading this one to the kids.
Hilarious...