Friday, October 13, 2006

Halloween -- a Halloween poem/Halloween poetry

For Poetry Friday the 13th in October (links collected here by Liz) this seemed rather appropriate somehow....


HALLOWEEN
by
Gregory K.

Be prepared
To be scared.
Ghosts and ghouls are haunting.

Mummies moan.
Specters groan.
You know it’s you they’re wanting.

Wolfmen howl.
Goblins yowl.
A shadow hides a grave.

Streetlights flicker
Heart beats quicker.
It’s so hard being brave.

Flashing lightning,
Far too frightening.
You know you want to flee.

But don’t run.
Just have fun.
And bring candy home for me.


(for your procrastinatory pleasure, links to this and other poems here on GottaBook are collected to the right under the headline "The Poems".)


If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


8 comments:

Chrixcel said...

Luv it:)
It is so clear
That we are mere
Puppets in a sphere of fear

Lisa Yee said...

Uh oh. I didin't realize it was Friday the 13th today. Eeeeeeeekkkkk . . . I have to give a speech today.

Anonymous said...

Very good poem. Bravo! How about one on the Halloween equivalent of fruitcake--candy corn? :o)

JoanneMarie Faust said...

Love the poem. It reminded me of Shel Silverstein a little, and that, my friend is a compliment!

Off topic, Mother Reader had a link to a t-shirt you might be interested in at Threadless. The message:
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Here's the link: http://www.threadless.com/product/623/Haikus_are_easy_but#zoom

crissachappell said...

This reminds me of the Pumpkin Carols we used to sing in music class. I miss them!

Anonymous said...

what a cute poem...I liked it.

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for the comments, y'all.

But I gotta know... Pumpkin Carols????? Is this like "Good King Pumpkinpie went out on his feets uneven...." or is it something I just missed in my youth?

Becky said...

Loved it and so did the kids (for whom October wouldn't be October without candy corn)!