Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eileen Spinelli - Praying Mantis

PRAYING MANTIS
by
Eileen Spinelli

Praying mantis
near my door
I wonder what
you're praying for.
A meal, perhaps,
a gentle wife,
a simple
well-blessed
mantis life?
And should the day
bring rain
and thunder,
a sturdy leaf
to shelter under.

© 2010 Eileen Spinelli. All rights reserved.

Eileen Spinelli has written over 40 books for children, poems galore, won awards aplenty... and done it all writing longhand and using something called an "electric typewriter." I will research what that is, but I tell ya, if it will let me write poems or picture books like hers, I'll consider getting one ASAP.

Truth is, of course, I don't think anyone can write like her. It's not just that I love her point of view and wonderful words. Beyond that... well... when I used to do a lot of read-alouds in my volunteer librarian gig, I knew that if I was rushing in at the last minute, I could just grab one of Eileen Spinelli's picture books and be set. The books, like her poems, always read perfectly - you can't mess 'em up! That is incredible to me and something I admire greatly... just part of why I'm so glad to have Eileen Spinelli here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday we had These rules are here for your protection from Arthur A. Levine. Tomorrow... Lesson from Bobbi Katz! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

9 comments:

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Ooh! She makes it look easy - but I know it isn't!
Thanks for this one,
Namaste,
Lee

Tabatha said...

Beautiful! I see what you mean, Greg -- the rhythms are so graceful that they make the reader sound good.

BookChook said...

Perfectly simple and simply perfect.

laurasalas said...

Love the "gentle wife"--ha! And the sturdy leaf...beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

And Eileen's Polar Bear, Arctic Hare (or maybe I have that backwards?) is one of my favorite collections!

K-Sue said...

I love this one

jama said...

Nice!

Jane Heitman Healy said...

A new, fresh look at this beautiful bug. Thanks!

tanita✿davis said...

Hah! The mantis had better keep praying about that "gentle" wife.

This poem feels so well shaped - a perfectly cadenced march from beginning to end.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Ditto what Tanita said in her comment!