Friday, January 02, 2009

Resolutions -- A New Year's Resolutions poem/a broken New Year's resolutions poem

RESOLUTIONS
by
Gregory K.

Every year on New Year’s Day,
I grab myself a pen.
I write my resolutions down to look at now and then.

Two years ago, I’d written twelve.
I broke them all by June.
Last year I broke them faster still (the first of March at noon).

This isn’t great, I must admit,
But now I’ve got it solved.
And so, this year, on New Year’s Day, here’s what I have resolved:

Bug my dad, annoy my sis,
Distract my oldest brother.
Skip a chore, create a mess, and once ignore my mother,

Chew some gum, devour pie,
Eat burgers, fries, and cakes,
Teach my baby brother all the joys of chocolate shakes.

My resolutions could go on.
Instead, I’ll stop right here.
Just once I’d like to keep them all...
And this might be my year.

The first Poetry Friday roundup of the year is here over at A Year of Reading. Go on and check it out!

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


And Happy New Year!

9 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

LOL

What a great set of resolutions! In such a wonderfully melodious format, too.

Happy New Year, Greg!

Douglas Florian said...

That's resoulutely, absolutely great.
Happy new year!
douglas

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!

Anonymous said...

Well, gee! All these years I've been looking at the resolution thing all wrong. Thanks for the laugh.

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, yeah. I think this IS indeed the year! Happy 2009!

Unknown said...

FUN:)
Thanks for sharing.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hey Greg,
What fun! I like the idea of doing an "opposite" resolution list - and you've done it wonderfully!
Happy New (and successful!) Year!
Lee

Anonymous said...

AWESOME POEM!!! I love poetry and this really is a good one. P.S. Im a poetery critic.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!