Friday, November 05, 2010

Too Much, Too Soon - a holiday poem


TOO MUCH, TOO SOON
by
Gregory K.

I’ve looked in every book I own...
I still can’t find a reason.
So tell me why’s November first the start of Christmas season?

I see the trees and hear the songs.
Big ads are everywhere.
I even saw a pumpkin wearing Santa’s beard and hair.

It’s not that Christmas isn’t swell,
But can’t we wait a tad?
Besides I got a frantic call -- Thanksgiving Day is mad!


This poem's been kicking around these parts for a long time. It's never seemed done to me, and maybe it still isn't. But every year, it seems more and more relevant, so... voila! And hey, if you want to check out other poems and poetry related posts that might be more finished, head on over to Teaching Authors and check out the Poetry Friday roundup. You'll be glad you did.

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

10 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Yeah. What's up with Christmas candy on sale BEFORE Halloween?!? And cookies, too! Who's eating Christmas cookies in October/November?!?!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That was super, Greg! Thank you for giving me my first laugh of the day...

Have a wonderful weekend!

Amy L V said...

I agree! Thanksgiving deserves its own time...I'll be thinking about this one all month. Funny the way you personify a day!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Yeah, in our neighborhood we started seeing Christmas lights up BEFORE Halloween. Really, people. Everything in its own good time, okay? Thanks for sharing this,
Namaste and a Hug,
Lee

christine M said...

Halloween candy in the stores in August. Christmas candy in the stores before Halloween.

This poem is long over-due! Thank you!

Sara W.E. said...

I love your poem too! Though I cope with this problem by just keeping my christmas lights up all year round. Then it's always a holiday:)

Anonymous said...

I agree too relevant!

Anonymous said...

Hey I wasn't anonymous!

Flying Selki said...

Ok, I think this is too relevant. I am repeating so as not to be anonymous!

tanita✿davis said...

Yes, Thanksgiving has been p.o.'d for years on this one, and it's only getting worse.

I am being DEFIANTLY thankful this year. Christmas doesn't start until December 5th. New rule.