Friday, December 12, 2008

Why I Love the Holidays in My Family -- A Christmas poem/A Hanukkah poem/A Chrismukkah poem

WHY I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS IN OUR FAMILY
by
Gregory K.


My dad lights the menorah.
My mom hangs Christmas lights.
And so the way I do the math,
It’s presents 20 nights!



The Poetry Friday links are collected here at the Wild Rose Reader. Go on now... go check 'em out.

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


9 comments:

Author Amok said...

Your poem describes our family too (with Mom and Dad switched). Thanks! I'm going to share it with the kids.

jama said...

Thanks for the smile. Happy Holidays, Greg!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hey - that was really fun!

What's always thrown me (maybe because of Advent Calendars, or the shopping flurry...) is that the 12 days of Christmas actually isn't the countdown to Christmas, it starts ON Christmas and goes all the way until January 5th...

But 20 days of gifts sounds impressive!
thanks,
Lee

Kelly Polark said...

That's great! Happy Holidays!

tanita✿davis said...

Yeah, baby! The more nights of celebration, the merrier. I really like this.

Brianna Caplan Sayres said...

Love the poem, Gregory! (It took me a second to figure out the math until I figured out you were counting the 12 nights of Christmas.)

And here I am insisting to my mom that 8 nights of Chanukah doesn't mean she gets to give my son 8 presents. At least she's not trying for 20! :o)

Late Blooming Mom said...

Luv this. My interfaith friends say their kids get to "double dip." I tackled the same subject today on www.latebloomingmom.com

Chrismukkah my way said...

very funny:)

David LaRochelle said...

Very funny, Greg. I'm still waiting for your first poetry book to come out.

Happy Holidays!