Monday, April 04, 2011

Joseph Bruchac - Siguan

Siguan
by
Joseph Bruchac

I play my flute
and the small birds answer,
their wings fill the sky
like bright colored leaves.

I play my flute
and the lakes and rivers
open their eyes
after their long sleep.

I play my flute
and the earth casts off
her white blanket,
clothes herself in green.

I play my flute
and the southern wind,
its breath soft as the fawn,
comes dancing again.

I play my flute
and the children laugh
for they know my song
and remember my name.

I am Siguan,
I am Spring.

©2011 Joseph Bruchac. All rights reserved.

I'm quite excited to have poet-storyteller-novelist-singer-songwriter-guitar-player-many-other-things Joseph Bruchac back here at GottaBook. Like last time (when he shared his poem Bear Path), I encourage you to head to his website to hear him read his poetry (and sing, too!). It's worth the time.

Part of my excitement stems from having watched a bunch of kids discover Code Talker this year, Joseph Bruchac's novel about the Navajo Marines of World War 2. The way kids were riveted and came to understand people from another culture... yet people serving in the American military... seemed so incredibly important to me in this day and age. And I think that's what I continue to respond to in so much of what I read by Joseph Bruchac - the fact that he touches on themes so universal, so timeless and yet timely, and he does it with grace and clarity. And that's why I'm thrilled to have him back here as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday gave us Marilyin Singer and A Stick Is an Excellent Thing. Tomorrow... April Halprin Wayland brings us Dear Whoever Composes the Sky.  For more information on 30 Poets/30 Days and how to follow along, please click here.

4 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Yay for Siguan! And thanks for the reminder about Code Talker. My youngest is the perfect kid for that book. Will read it to him!

Charles Waters said...

Bruchac forever!!!!

Ruth said...

Totally love it! Just started 30 Poems for school today... I think I'm gonna like it.

Elaine Magliaro said...

I'm a great admirer of Joseph Bruchac's work. I invited him to speak to my reading council a few years ago. He also spoke to my children's literature class at BU. He's a wonderful presenter.

In addition to "Code Talker," I recommend Bruchac's book "The Winter People"--which is also a work of historical fiction that I think boys would enjoy. They'd probably like his book "Wabi: A Hero's Tale" too. It's definitely an exciting story.