Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ralph Fletcher - Mystery Flower

Mystery Flower
by
Ralph Fletcher

Originally from Holland,
I’m called the poor man’s rose.

Sunlight makes me open up
but when it rains I close.

I’ll keep your deepest secrets
in a tiny ruby bowl.

These two lips could gossip
but I won't tell a soul.

© Ralph Fletcher. All rights reserved.

I love a good riddle poem, and here Ralph Fletcher does a lot of my favorite riddle-y things all at once: gives facts, creates images, uses metaphor, and makes a pun to boot. I think they're a really fun form of poem to play around with, alone and with a class, and I think this is a great example of how much you can get across so quickly.

Besides being a fabulous poet, Ralph Fletcher is also well known for his books and presentations on writing. Just as his poems are fun and full of wordplay (much like his last example here), his suggestions for teachers/kids also emphasize that same good stuff. Now that's something I can really go for (and wish all my teachers had gone for!) and just one of the reasons I'm so happy to have Ralph Fletcher here as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday ended with Liz Garton Scanlon and Word of Mouth. Next up, Julie Larios with Far from Home! For more information on 30 Poets/30 Days and how to follow along, please click here.

6 comments:

Charles Waters said...

Love the poem, loved meeting Ralph at NCTE and love his joy of children's poetry!!!!!

Rita said...

Wow. Really, really love it. Clever and beautiful, with natural voice and effortless rhythm. And, a title that keeps paying dividends on rereading!!

Wonderful!!

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, that's fun. And I had no idea tulips closed in the rain - so now I know something new!

Anonymous said...

Love this poem, very cute! And tulips are my favourite.

Anonymous said...

Love this poem, very cute! And tulips are my favourite.

Sharon Feather said...

I love the way Ralph so often infuses humor and heart in his work.