Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kurt Cyrus - The Mummy and the Mermaid

The Mummy and the Mermaid
by
Kurt Cyrus

"Sure I'm dead," the mummy said,
"but look at what we've got--
a bride, a groom, a desert tomb
impervious to rot.
Oh, come away from all that spray,
the water and the waves.
Forget the tide. Get mummified,
and join me in my caves."
Sadly, she was wild and free
and far too fond of water.
So, with a sassy "Pardon me"
she slipped into the silver sea
to giggle with a manatee
and frolic with an otter.
"When she's dead," the mummy said,
"the sea will surely rot her."
And with a dry and dusty cough
the ancient fossil wandered off
and instantly forgot her.

© 2011 Kurt Cyrus. All rights reserved.

Kurt Cyrus has the type of mind I love. I mean, what type of crazy brilliant mind comes up with a mummy in love with a mermaid and then rhymes otter with rot her? Right. The type of mind I love. Just like last time he was here and gave us The Big Snore, I simply love his ability to create utterly unique turns of phrase and make me laugh.

Beyond his delicious way with words, Kurt Cyrus also has a remarkable way with pictures. His illustrations, whether he's written the book or someone else has, are remarkable. Check out his books or even the outtakes page on his website and you'll see what I mean. I doubly admire the double threats among us, and that means I'm doubly happy to have Kurt Cyrus here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

We had three tanka from Nikki Grimes earlier today. Tomorrow kicks off with Linda Sue Park with Explaining Baseball to an Alien! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tanita✿davis said...

I love this silliness. At first I felt bad that the mummy had been rejected, but hey, since he forgot her, all's fair ...

I really enjoy Kurt Cyrus' poetry!

Charles Waters said...

This man thinks outside the box. And I love it!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this gem! This poet is definitely someone I would love to read.