Sunday, April 08, 2007

I Don't Like Do's and Don'ts -- a letter poem

I DON’T LIKE DO’S AND DON’TS
by
Gregory K.

I really don’t like do’s and don’ts.
I don’t like do-si-dos.
I don’t like driving, don’t like dirt,
Don’t like it when I doze.

I don’t like dump trucks, darts or drips.
I don’t like dreary days.
I don’t like dancing, don’t like doom,
Don’t like to have delays.

I don’t like donuts, dogs, or dots.
Do I like drums? Not me.
Now there’s a whole bunch that I like...
But I just don’t like D.


This is one of a still incomplete collection of "letter poems" I was working on at one point. See if you can guess how many poems were gonna be in the collection. Anyone? Anyone? Very good. All of you who got 26 can stay late and clean off the chalkboard....

(I'm posting an original poem-a-day through April in celebration of National Poetry Month. Links to this and other poems here on GottaBook (and there are lots of others, because poetry is NOT just for April) are collected over on the right of the blog under the headline "The Poems".)

If you want to get all my poems emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, really excellent. Make sure your publisher knows this project is kinda sorta up your sleeve -- it sounds very workable to me, particularly if the other poems are this cute!

Anonymous said...

That's double D deliciously delightful. Glad I found your blog. Looking forward to the rest of April.