Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Oddaptation: Where the Wild Things Are

Yes, it's Oddaptation time again here at GottaBook. For those new to Oddapting, if you follow that handy link back in the prior sentence OR look to the right hand side of the blog under The Oddaptations, you'll get up to speed right quick. But if you think "attitudinal, oft rhyming Cliff Notes of picture books," you'd be on the right track.

Today's Oddaptation choice is actually my currently most requested title... but NEVER in public comments, only by e-mail. Why is that, I wonder? Dunno, but Halloween time seems like as good a time as any to toss this one out into the light of day, so here all ye requesters go. As always, if other titles pop into your mind for Oddaptations, be sure to let me know... in comments or by e, natch.


WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
by Maurice Sendak
Oddaptation by Gregory K.

Another family meal is missed:
Max is angry. Max is pissed.
And rumpus beasts? They don’t exist…
My word, Max needs a therapist!

9 comments:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

Hee!!!! Thanks for the laugh. I adore Where the Wild Things Are. I find myself, after being reminded of it, wandering about the house, reciting it aloud. This does not please my puppy Pickles. He does not find my quirkiness at all appealing. He just wants me to keep handing out the treats and scratching under his chin, everything else is just an annoyance.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's sweet. Growing up, that book freaked me out completely. As an adult... LOVE it. Does that say more about me or it???

Deb

Nancy said...

Good one!

Anonymous said...

I didn't become a cruiser of the children's literature blogosphere until recently when my friend Grace Lin told me about the Blue Rose Girls blog. So...I just came upon GottaBook yesterday after you left a comment on Part II of my poetry post at BRG. Thanks for the suggestion that people have a look.

On another topic:
It was one of America's most esteemed children's poets, the late David McCord, who recommended the book SHRINKLITS to me many years ago. I think it was a really clever idea to retell the great works of literature in humorous verse.

I love your oddaptations!
Have you ever considered compiling a book of them for adult readers? It might become as popular as James Finn Garner's POLITICALLY CORRECT BEDTIME STORIES, which was a bestseller about a dozen years ago.

Lisa Yee said...

Oh, that's lovely. However, I am sure it will be banned in several states.

Not to worry though. AS IF! will come to your defense!!!

SilberBook-Blog said...

Max would be proud...as soon his fifty minute hour is up - that is.

Good one -

alan

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks, y'all. And...

Elaine M -- send publishers my way! It's an interesting thing because these are clearly skewed for adults... though many kids think they're a hoot, too. But I can't imagine kids BUYING a book of Oddaptations. Shrinklits, however, can sorta help in class (though you'd all be amazed how many folks search google for "cliff notes of xxxx" where xxxx is any random picture book title).

Lisa -- I'd love to have an Oddaptation banned so I could call upon AS IF! If I get them published (see above), I'll make sure to get them attacked just for that reason.

F. S. Poesy said...

Your Oddaptations are great!

You've inspired me to write not one but two Oddaptations for Chicken Soup With Rice. Check them out here:

Oddaptation One
Oddaptation Two

Anonymous said...

If you love Maurice Sendak's 'Where the Wild Things Are' you might be interested in visiting www.cafgivinggarden.org - the site showcases the 'Where the Wild Things Are' inspired garden being designed by Tiggy Salt for this year's Chelsea Flower Show.