Thursday, April 28, 2011

Nikki Grimes - Busted/Closet/Someone Like Me (three tanka)

Busted / Closet / Someone Like Me
Three Tanka
by
Nikki Grimes

Busted

Best thing about friends:
They know you inside and out.
Worst thing about friends:
They know you inside and out.
My turtle shell is useless.


Closet

I flip through my shirts,
tan, brown, grey, black, colors that
make me disappear.
If nobody knows I'm here,
it's hard for them to hurt me.


Someone Like Me

I surf the channels,
spy network and cable kids
parading like sticks.
Where's the star who looks like me?
I want to be special, too.

© Nikki Grimes. All rights reserved.

I'm a big Nikki Grimes fan... which I think made today very hard. You see, she had sent me other poems besides these three tanka. Other tanka, a riddle, a... well... the point is, I wanted to run them all. (And yes, I kept stalling with the hope she'd send me MORE poems to choose from. Can you blame me?). In the end, I picked these three because they show how she can nail truths in a way that looks effortless. Plus, I got to share three poems!

Nikki Grimes has a new book coming out in September called Planet Middle School. It's a novel in poems and, having just finished an advanced copy today, I can safely say that it's fantastic. It's funny, emotional, and exceedingly real. And, yes, it's poetry! Make sure you're looking for it in the fall. In the meantime, grab some of her poetry, sit down and enjoy, and you'll know why I'm so happy to have her here as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

We ended yesterday with Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Skating Pond. Up next... Kurt Cyrus and The Mummy and the Mermaid! For more information on 30 Poets/30 Days and how to follow along, please click here.

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

I love how these are all linked meaning-wise, even if they weren't intended to be. The tanka is a really accessible poem.

laurasalas said...

Nikki rocks! I especially love Busted. We want people to see the real us, but it's the scariest thing in the world, too.

These are great! And I can't wait to read Planet Middle School!

Charles Waters said...

I'm with Laura in eagerly awaiting PLANET MIDDLE SCHOOL. Loves me some Nikki Grimes.

sayan said...

just
mind
blowing