Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jorge Argueta - Las Dos Piedritas/Two Little Stones

Las Dos Piedritas/Two Little Stones
by
Jorge Argueta


From a collection entitled Story/Poems of Flavors and Colors

© 2011 Jorge Argueta. All rights reserved.

I have posted this poem as an image file so that the Spanish and English versions look all nice together. If you click on the poems, you'll see a bigger version of them. If you subscribe to the blog and don't see the image, for some reason, come visit the blog and you will!

Jorge Argueta writes seemingly simple yet utterly evocative, lyrical poetry that makes me see the world anew. The images he creates are so appealing (see last year's poem as one other example) that I always find myself hungry for more.

Perhaps that hunger comes from having read his last book, Arroz con leche, and not having had rice pudding since then (which, I must add, is just WRONG). Still, I think it's more that his poetry just sucks me in no matter the topic (though I do want rice pudding!), and that's just one of the reasons I'm so excited to have Jorge Argueta here as part of 30 Poets/30 Days. 

We ended yesterday with Calef Brown and Backstory - an excerpt.  Next up we have Liz Garton Scanlon with Word of Mouth. For more information on 30 Poets/30 Days and how to follow along, please click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely delightful. I tried to translate before I saw the English version and wondered who was buried and who was dancing. :)

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely delightful. I tried to translate before I saw the English version and wondered who was buried and who was dancing. :)

tanita✿davis said...

Hah! I love the illogic of childhood. However, in this case, hey! Stones is as good an explanation as any. ("Snow comes up, Charlie Brown!")

Charles Waters said...

Oh what a beautiful language Spanish is. Thank you Jorge!!!!