Monday, April 14, 2008

My Brother Plays Accordion -- an accordion poem/a musical instrument poem

MY BROTHER PLAYS ACCORDION
By
Gregory K.

My life was really good, but then…
My brother “learned” accordion.
Some folks play it well, but sadly…
Not my bro – he plays it badly.
He puts his fingers on the keys
Then gives that beast a mighty squeeze.
Sounds emerge… but they’re not notes.
Instead, it sounds like angry goats
Plus honking horns and fighting cats
With just a pinch of screeching bats.
My parents don’t know what to say,
And both of them have gone quite gray.
We all so miss those days back when
Before there was accordion
When life was good without a care…
And my sister’s bagpipes filled the air.


I'm posting an original poem each day in April in celebration of National Poetry Month. Links to this and other poems here on GottaBook (and I post all year round, because poetry is NOT just for April!) are collected over on the right of the blog under the headline "The Poems".

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. My friend chose to learn the accordian because her mom told her she HAD to pick something and couldn't pick something the older siblings had picked. The accordian as annoying enough to get her out of music lessons though. :)

Mac McCool said...

Very funny, Greg!! Thanks for all the work you and the SCBWI-L.A. group put into a super-fun Writer's Day. Lot of work, an A-list of guests, and such fun to see all these friends!!