Friday, June 01, 2007

Hello, Summer! -- a last day of school poem/a summer vacation poem

'Tis the end of the school year in many parts, and I thought I'd celebrate this poetry Friday by tossing up a summer vacation/last day of school poem. And why not, I ask? Ya, I couldn't come up with a reason either.... Check out the Poetry Friday roundup over at adventures in daily living!

Hello, Summer! -- (A Last Day of School Poem)
by
Gregory K.


Goodbye, classroom!
Goodbye, Teach!
You can find me at the beach...
Or in the park or at the pool
Or any place that isn’t school.

Goodbye, quizzes!
Bye, reports!
Hello days packed full of sports
And days when I’m just lazybones
While eating melty ice cream cones.

Goodbye, homework --
Lunchroom, too.
There’s so, so much I wanna do.
I know the school year flew on past…
But please, please summer -- last and last.


If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that poem! As a former teacher, I must say it captures the excitement of the teacher as well as the student!

Terry P. said...

Ah, you sum it all up so well! Nice poetry, Greg. On another note, in an oh-so-friendly payback kind of way, I'm tagging you in a new kind of blog game. Similar to "8 Things Meme" but with humor added. Go to my blog to check it out!

Anonymous said...

Omgosh Greg that was such a great poem! I am a 5th grade student and i want to print that poem and give a copy to each of my classmates, its great!

Anonymous said...

i as a teacher was just looking out for a fun last day of summer poem and LO! thanks for ending my search at the very first poem

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem capturing the moment that all students feel.

Henry Lawson Poems said...

Wonderful poem capturing the moment that all students feel.

bobcat editor said...

I am using this for our PTA newsletter, if you don't mind. I will credit you and print the link to your blog. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

the poem was so awsome. it reminded me that school is horrible. i am gonna print this poem and on the last day of school, i will leave the note on the teacher's desk.

Carolin Newmeyer said...

I also love your poem! Well, my kids love summer a lot. Aside from the wonderful weather, summer's the time when they can relax and have a good time. But they also love going to school!

Anonymous said...

lovely poem .......
wonderful

Anonymous said...

Fab poem!!:)

tgchan said...

Amazing poem~~~THank you for sharing it with us!

Blah said...

Not so nice

Blah said...

Not so nice

Blah said...

Not so nice