Thursday, April 05, 2012

Mary Quattlebaum - Earthworm

Earthworm
by
Mary Quattlebaum

Mud hugger.
Sleek slider.
Snug in ground
you glide
down
down
down
that long
black
road
you make
and make
and constantly
ride.

Dirt eater.
Stone greeter.
Who do you know
in your
squeeze-
tight
home?
Mole in hidey-hole?
Shiny bug and snail?
O, slick pink belly!
O, quick-flip tail!
Where did you go?
Hello?
Hello?

© Mary Quattlebaum. All rights reserved.

I love Mary Quattlebaum's poem today... from the multiple, evocative names for the earthworm to the questions asked of the titular earthworm to the twisty mystery at the end. In barely over 50 words, she creates a whole worm symphony, a feat even Beethoven never succeeded at (though his Sonata #25 in G, Cuckoo eats Worm, comes close).


Now, I admit a tiny part of me was hoping Mary would share a pirate poem with us here. I have two selfish reasons for this - I loved her book Pirate vs. Pirate from last year, and would be happy to see her continue in "book buccaneer" mode, AND I wanted to do some pirate writing. Something like "T' way she spins a yarn and uses rhythm and word choice t' make readin' so much fun be truly fantastic." But now I have no organic way to do so! Pity. Still, I am exceedingly happy to be able to share Earthworm with you all today, and very grateful to have author/poet/teacher/reviewer Mary Quattlebaum here at GottaBook as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday brought us Crystal Apples by Sara Holbrook. Tomorrow... What Is Poetry? by Bob Raczka. For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

7 comments:

Life's a poem said...

Loved this! Thanks for sharing, Lorraine

tanita✿davis said...

Hah! Mud-hugger is a great description.

catherinemjohnson.com said...

I love this wormy shape poem, brilliant!

Amy LV said...

This worm poem makes me so happy! I love the language and the ending too. Thank you Greg & Mary! a.

jama said...

Yes, a whole worm symphony. Love this. "Stone greeter" was a nice surprise.

Liz Brownlee said...

No, no, no no pirates for me, I love animal poems! Great wormification. enjoyed this very much. Is it a shape poem - it could be made into a worm.

Charles Waters said...

Quattlebaum's children's poems are tight and right. Great descriptive words.