Friday, March 10, 2006

Poem: Uncle Goose -- a nursery rhyme poem/a Mother Goose poem

I toyed with doing a blog in the persona of Uncle Goose, but I decided to be me instead. Still, y'all get to meet him....

UNCLE GOOSE
by
Gregory K.

Humpty Dumpty’s all cracked up,
And I’m the one who broke him.
Brother John is not asleep,
And I’m the one who woke him.

Georgie Porgie kissed the girls,
But I’m the one who dared him.
Jack and Jill both tumbled down
‘Cause I’m the one who scared ‘em.

The baby in the tree-top stayed
‘Til I came by and shook him.
Those kittens’ mittens sure weren’t lost
Since I’m the one who took ‘em.

Little Bo once lost her sheep,
And I’m the one who hid ‘em.
Yes, lots of bad, bad things were done...
And I’m the one who did ‘em.




If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


4 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

I guess everybody's got a crazy uncle.

Hilarious!

- Jay

Greg Pincus said...

I thought of putting a disclaimer on the poem to note that it was not patterned after anyone I knew, living or dead. But then again, if someone saw themselves in it enough to accuse me... well... that'd be pretty telling anyway.

Camille said...

I can see this as a 32 page picture book.

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks, Camille, and I look forward to the contract :-). I have played with Uncle a bit in terms of finding a good story that builds off that character, and also as kinda a lead in to a collection of twisted Goose-isms. You know, like...

Mary Had a Little Lamb

Mary, who was quite a glutton,
Had a lamb, since she loves mutton.

It's all still a work in progress, but I definitely appreciate the comment!