Friday, October 12, 2007

Ode to Air Travel -- an air travel poem/a flying poem

An Ode to Air Travel (Upon Flying Cross-Country in Seat 31A)
by
Gregory K.

My seat belt is fastened – it’s snug and secure.
Been sitting here hours... and feels it for sure.
I finished my books during airport delays.
It turns out my iPod’s been uncharged for days.
I’ve studied the plane wing: I’ve counted the rivets.
I’ve noted my seat cushion’s deepening divots.
I spilled all my water (my pants are still drying).
I hear one babe cooing... and 17 crying.
The man right behind me drones stories so boring,
I think I’m preferring my seat-mate’s wheezed snoring.
My back aches in tense, upright, locked tight position.
It’s clear 30A has a stomach condition.
Yet just when I think I can’t take anymore,
And I’m wishing my window would turn to a door,
I hear these great words (over 30B’s cough),
“This is your captain… we’re cleared to take off!”


This week's Poetry Friday roundup is right here at Two Writing Teachers. Go on over and check out the links AND the blog....

If you want to get all my poems emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, and so well-written!

Tricia said...

Ah, the joys of flying. I"ve experience this too many times to count, though I must give props to all the overseas carriers I flew this summer. Not one plane was late and the service was extraordinary. I wish we could do that here.
Great poem!

Greg Pincus said...

The irony is that I wrote this on a travel day most notable for being utterly uneventful and perfectly pleasant. Sadly not the norm, but still good to know it can happen!

Vivian Mahoney said...

This is great. I laughed at the end.

cynthea said...

Very cute. Nothing like a great airplane poem. :)

Sara said...

Don't let the airlines see this, or you might be riding with the luggage. :)

The lady behind me on the plane from Chicago read every clue to her crossword puzzle out loud, over and over to her husband, who was clearly hiding in his newspaper. My ipod wasn't charged, of course.

Judy said...

I can SO identify with that, after sitting three and a half hours on the runway in Philadelphia for a two hour last leg of a trip home, coming from Germany. That was a LONG day.

Anonymous said...

On my flight home, I packed my crossword puzzle book in my carry-on but neglected to pack a pencil. Oh, the pain.

Thank heaven my iPod was charged.

Mary Lee said...

I loved the poem all the way through, but then at the end, I LOVEDLOVEDLOVED it! Very funny. And all the better because now that I've met you, I can hear your voice in it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, your poem is soooo true!!!! I live in CA and ME and the trips are excrutiating!!!!!!! Caught someone's cold this last time...we had a broken intercom and sat waiting for an extra FIVE hours; I knew I was doomed.

Rita said...

Fantastic!! :D :D

Anonymous said...

Love it! Totally see where your coming from! I was on a runway for 5 hours waiting to take off, sad news was my ipod was only half charged and there was a pregent 16 who had to pee every 10 min and then yelled about it to her boyfriend behind me!

Unknown said...


This post is really informative to all kind of people. I am very happy to see the post. I will request you to give more information about this. I have gotten many knowladable speech form here. I have also website where you can get some knowledge which may be for your welfare. Visit here…..
poem