Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Fraction Store -- a math poem

THE FRACTION STORE
by
Gregory K.

I bought a quarter pound of eighths.
I bought an ounce of thirds.
I filled a bag with seventeenths that I will feed the birds.

I found a ninth of thirty-eighths.
I grabbed a single half.
The sixths and fifths were one-fourth off, and that caused me to laugh.

As I prepared to pay my bill,
Well, that’s when things got strange.
Although they’re selling fractions there, they cannot figure change.



(I'm posting an original poem-a-day through April in celebration of National Poetry Month. Links to this and other poems here on GottaBook (and there are lots of others, because poetry is NOT just for April) are collected over on the right of the blog under the headline "The Poems".)


If you want to get every poem (and only the poems) I post here emailed to you for freeee as it hits the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the first half, and I loved the second half!

Anonymous said...

the poem is great... i really love Math... i admire your work!

Anonymous said...

i love the first poem and i thank so much, for your poem has helped me with a project and now i got an A!!!!!

Anonymous said...

this poem is awesome it's hard to understand (only because i'm not good aat fractions)and i have to turn in a math poem and since this poem is awesome i'll probably get an A anyways if i get an A i'll post it on here and tell you. THANK YOU !!!!:):):)

Anonymous said...

i like this one and i'm probably going to get an A and if i do i'll tell you AND IF I ALREADY POSTED THIS SORRY MY COMPUTER MESSED UP:( THANK YOU!!!:):):)