Friday, December 08, 2006

Who Reads Your Manuscript -- a poem for writers (and editors)

I wrote the following poem at a recent SCBWI event. Conversation had turned to editors once again, and it was clear that sometimes writers still view the person on the recieving end of a manuscript as a "faceless foe," so to speak. How silly. Editors have faces! Anyway, I've pieced together some knowledge over the last few years, so I thought I'd share it in an attempt to help get rid of some of the mystery of the kidlit business. I know. I know. What a giver!



Who Reads Your Manuscript
By
Gregory K.

Editors were born to read:
They chose their jobs for love, not greed.
Editors are short on time,
And truly they don’t ALL hate rhyme.
Editors have pets, get wed.
Sometimes they stay home sick in bed.
Editors eat writers, true...
But otherwise, they’re just like you!








Alan Silberberg drew me this book-toon after being inpired by the poem!




(for your procrastinatory pleasure, links to this and other poems here on GottaBook are collected to the right under the headline "The Poems".)

(This week's Poetry Friday links are collected right here by Susan)

5 comments:

alvinaling said...

I like that poem. :)

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks, Alvina. That means a lot coming from you!

And it means that the person who wrote me today and said "aren't you worried you'll offend editors???" got an answer from someone other than me.

If I can solve some computer issues on this end, I'm gonna upload a book-toon that Alan Silberberg drew for me upon reading the poem. In the meantime, feel free to use the poem every time you send out a cruel and heartless reply (or after your holiday feast of a dozen writers in sauce (with a nice chianti))!

Don Tate II said...

Editors have pets that get married?

Krichelle Groth said...

Greg, I enjoyed your poem. I'm sure Editors and Agents will enjoy it, too and perhaps will post it on their wall.

Rita said...

Love your poems, as always, Greg!!

LOL to Don!!