Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Robert Schechter - Mistaken Identity

Mistaken Identity
Robert Schechter

I used to think the moon was just
the sun when it was tired
and did not have the strength to shine
but had not yet expired,

and when the sun came back, I thought,
it was the moon made strong
by sleep and rest to shine again
in brilliance all day long.

But then, one day, I glanced above.
The sky was bright and cheery,
and I could see both moon and sun.
Well, so much for my theory!

I later learned the shining moon
reflects the shining sun,
and though the sun and moon are two
the shining is just one,

and so, it seems, what I had thought
was sort of, kind of, right:
our moon is just the way our sun
shines down on us at night.

©Robert Schechter. All rights reserved.

Through the wonders of social media, I've been lucky enough to know Robert Schechter for awhile now. He has answered many a poetry query of mine and, as you can see, can just flat out write.

I love the way Mistaken Identity comes up with some knockout phrases ("the sun when it was tired"!!!!) that establish the voice of the poem... then gives that "voice" a whole story, too. We get the rise and fall of the sun and moon and the voice and his/her theory all while learning some science, too. This is what I call "the good stuff," indeed.

I highly recommend you read (and listen to) a couple of Bob's poems that have been in Highlights - Colors and My Nose - both of which have a similar voice that makes me wonder... hmmm... is it Bob who has this wonderful world view? If it is, well, that'd just add to the reasons I'm so happy to have Robert Schechter here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday, Jill Corcoran encouraged us to Sing it Loud. Tomorrow... Nancy Bo Flood with Immigrants's Song: Coal Dust, Peppers, and Tomatoes! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.


Tabatha said...

Liked this a lot!

Linda at teacherdance said...

Wonderful to read, and to think about all the misconceptions people think. More ideas for poems!

catherinemjohnson said...

This is my favorite so far, fun!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

BIG fan of this one! Thanks Robert (and Greg!)

tanita davis said...

Oh, wow - this is so very childlike in its reasoning, I love it.

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

This one is simply charming. It's going to stick with me for a long time. Thanks for sharing!

Stephen W Cahill said...

My stand out favorite so far. Absolutely love it - and not just for the great meter. Robert, I'm inspired!

Diana Murray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Murray said...

Beautiful poem! Childlike and sophisticated at the same time.

Charles Waters said...

Science, poetry, WIN WIN.

Bob Schechter said...

Thank you all for reading my poem and leaving such generous comments. I'm glad you liked it.

Please friend me on Facebook and add me on Google Plus if you haven't already done so;\