Thursday, April 08, 2010

Ralph Fletcher - Weeds

Weeds
by
Ralph Fletcher

Weeds in the sunlight,
swaying in the breeze.

Weeds pollinated by
hordes of hungry bees.

Weeds softly whispering,
spilling secret seeds.

Weeds multiplying:
weeds, weeds, weeds.

Dandelion, ragweed,
Queen Anne’s lace.

Weeds in my dreams,
weeds in outer space.

Weeds on vacation
but more staying home.

Sneaky little weedlings
sprouting in this poem!

© 2010 Ralph Fletcher. All rights reserved.

Ralph Fletcher writes poetry, picture books, and novels as well as penning fantastic books about the craft of writing for teachers and students both. In fact, I'd argue that any one who writes can learn from his books (and get ideas from the tips section of his website, for that matter). But it is his poetry I want to focus on today, because I've found time and again that it can make me laugh... can make me see things in a whole new light... can make me feel.

His book Moving Day (illustrated by Jennifer Emery), holds a special place for me, since I moved a few times as a child. While my experiences and memories were different than Fletch, the main character in Moving Day, the emotions these poems capture still connected spot on with me... and with everyone I've read them to who's gone through a similar experience (and most who haven't, too!). You can read a poem from Moving Day in last year's Poetry Makers profile to see if it doesn't impact you, too. He's a wonderful poet, author and teacher, indeed, and I'm thrilled to have Ralph Fletcher here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday, we had Wonders from Susan Marie Swanson. Tomorrow... Ch-ch-ch-check, Please from Alan Katz! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

9 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Hooray for Ralph Fletcher!!!

Carol Grannick said...

Ralph's fiction has been, and continues to be, an inspiration, and this poem was a perfect way to start the day. It reminds me that there's a positive side to weeds that are beginning to flourish in my not-yet-veggie garden!

Anonymous said...

Love this new poem-sing song fun about weeds, lol.

Lara Ivey said...

You can't go wrong with Ralph Fletcher! A gifted writer for sure.

Anonymous said...

Hooray that he will be at my school in May! Love the poem, "Weeds" and the ideas that weeds can sprout poems.

Jane Heitman Healy said...

I love Ralph's poetry and his work helping kids become better writers. This poem makes me smile, smile, smile, especially as I look at my spring newly-sprouted lawn.

tanita✿davis said...

This made me smile... then sneeze.

Anonymous said...

i think yhis poem is cool!!!

Elizabeth G. said...

Eleven-year olds can love poetry, right? Ever since that poetry unit, I can't stop reading, writing, and breathing poems. And Ralph Fletcher is definitely an inspiration for me! His amazing poems bring back lots of great memories!