Monday, April 28, 2008

Losing to My Lunch -- a poem about playing games/a food poem

LOSING TO MY LUNCH
by
Gregory K.

The carrot won at Yahtzee,
But I really think it cheated.
I played the toast in CandyLand:
It could not be defeated.
Blockhead with potato chips?
I lost one hundred times.
The peaches won at Rummikub.
I lost Kerplunk to limes.
The ice cream won at basketball,
Since every shot went “swish.”
The yams won Chutes and Ladders.
The tuna won Go Fish.
My mother always scolded me.
She said, “You know it’s rude.”
But I have different reasons why I never play with food.


I'm posting an original poem each day in April in celebration of National Poetry Month. Links to this and other poems here on GottaBook (and I post all year round, because poetry is NOT just for April!) are collected over on the right of the blog under the headline "The Poems".

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


3 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

Very funny, Greg. You've created quite the collection of humorous, kid-friendly poems this month. I'm impressed.

David

Anonymous said...

Love this one. But it almost sounds like you're a sore loser :-)

Anonymous said...

I still haven't gotten over feeling sorry for the poor Dad in Tennis Doubles Trouble, and agree with Rita the exhausted/unfrosted rhyme was great, but this line
really might be the ultimate....
The tuna won Go Fish. Hilarious!!!

topangamaria