Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Greg Pincus - I Put Each Carrot In a Suit

I Put Each Carrot In a Suit
by
Greg Pincus

I put each carrot in a suit.
The lettuce in a scarf (how cute!).
Tomatoes? Ribbons in their hair.
The celery's in underwear.
Sneakers for the kidney beans.
The cucumber's in new blue jeans.
The avocado wore a dress.
The onion's in a tux (oh, yes!).
The jicama's in high-heeled shoes.
The mushroom? Any belt I choose.
The apple is a naked guy.
The olive's in a shirt and tie.
I put the radish in a vest.
There, I think the salad's dressed.

©2011 Greg Pincus. All rights reserved.

Some of you know me as Greg Pincus and some of you know me as Gregory K., but we're one and the same and very happy to have you visiting our... err... my blog today. Besides being a blogger and a poetry fan, I also write poetry of my own. You can see a lot of my poems linked along the right hand side of the blog or check out my last entry to 30 Poets/30 Days here. Food, it seems, remains a major theme of my work. I'll mull the significance of that after I get a snack....


I love bringing poetry to kids (and in fact, launched Poetry: Spread the Word to enable me to do more of that), and I can't tell you how many times I've read aloud a poem by one of the 59 other poets who've been part of 30 Poets/30 Days and seen kids come alive with laughter, conversation, recognition... the works. It's inspiring, as is the passion so many of you who read the blog have about poetry. I love getting to hang out with all of you, even if it's just virtually, and I look forward to sharing the rest of April and everything that lies beyond that with you, too.

Earlier we had Charles Waters' I Wear Mommy's Dress. Tomorrow we kick off with J. Patrick Lewis with The Voice of the Voiceless. For more information on 30 Poets/30 Days and how to follow along, please click here.
Logo by Mary Peterson

18 comments:

Paul Greci said...

Greg,I really enjoyed reading this poem. It created some smiles. Thanks! :-)

Carol Grannick said...

Completely cute and totally clever!

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Ha! What a fun play on the word "dressing"!

Amy-Baskin.blogspot.com said...

Greg, I LOVE your poem! (I just might eat my greens today.)

jama said...

My favorite of your poems so far!! LOVE ♥!

Robyn Hood Black said...

I will not look at tonight's salad in quite the same way.... ;0) Thank you for this month-long feast of fabulous poetry!

tanita✿davis said...

I'm a bit concerned with the apple's fashion sense...

So glad you put in one of yours!

Greg Pincus said...

That's how the apple rolls, Tanita. That's just how it rolls.

Thanks, y'all, for the kind words!

Deb said...

My kids (grade 3/4) are going to love this one!

Frances Sackett said...

Oh, this is awesome! Although that poor apple is going to get some stares...

It's great, really. : )

Lindsey Lane said...

Mah-velous. Simply Mah-velous.

Charles Waters said...

Greg I must say you're giving Prelutsky a run for his money when it comes to food poems. Another superb one my friend!!!

Mary Lee said...

I love your surprise endings!

laurasalas said...

Your poems ALWAYS put a smile on my face, Greg!

Anonymous said...

Yo! I'm your student. I knew eventually you'd write a poem like this. It's really cool and it made me laugh!

Dov

Megan Frances Abrahams said...

Delicious!

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks again for the (new!) nice comments.

And Dov - I miss reading to you in the library this year, so I'm really glad you made it out here and said "hello!" And, of course, I'm glad you laughed :-)

Barry Ashley said...

Lots of fun. Made me forget my arthritis, at least for a while.