Friday, September 08, 2006

Oddaptation: Curious George

It's been some time since I've posted an Oddaptation, so I figured the drought should end along with summer. For those new to Oddapting, check the links over to the right (under The Oddaptations) to get a fuller picture. Or just think of them as picture book Cliff Notes in rhyme with a point of view mixed in.

It seems like a good time for a take on Curious George, what with a new animated series just debuting. Also, beyond the triumverate of mediocrity, it's my most requested title. Still, I decided to go a step farther and see if I could do one Oddaptation to sum up the entire Curious George collection (which is huge, since earlier TV series led to books galore, not to mention all the original Rey works). The result is below.

As always, suggestions for future Oddaptations are encouraged. And please note that the tone of voice you choose for the last line is entirely up to you.


CURIOUS GEORGE
(all books)
by H.A. Rey & Margaret Rey
Oddaptation by Gregory K.

George is a monkey who’s always quite curious,
But if you did what he did your folks would be furious.
He complicates life, making messes quite frightful…
Yet things turn out fine in the end.
How delightful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! But what of the Man in the Yellow Hat? No commentary about him?

Greg Pincus said...

My first stab at the Oddaptation was longer and mentioned the MitYH. But as I read more of the books, well, he became extraneous. I actually think the last two lines alone could be the full version (though I'd have to work George's name in, obviously), but I decided to at least acknowledge George's monkeyness.

Thanks for the comment!

Nancy said...

Very nice. And I just caught up with the rest of the Oddaptations too.