Friday, April 12, 2013

Jon Agee - High Jump

High Jump
by
Jon Agee

The mark for the highest high-jump on the planet,
Is held by a lady from Newark named Janet.
When she jumped, it was almost as if she could fly.
In a flash, she was just a small dot in the sky.
The judges, they waited, but soon they got bored,
‘Cause she never came down to collect her award.

©Jon Agee. All rights reserved.

Jon Agee's picture books (like Milo's Hat Trick, The Retired Kid, My Rhinoceros and, most recently for me, The Incredible Painting of Felix Clousseau) are staples both at home and when I read in the school library. And then there are his books of word wizardry. Oh, yes, indeed.

Palindromania! and Go Hang a Salami! I'm a Lasagna Hog! demonstrate Jon Agee's palindrome mastery (recently recognized again with his wins in the SymmyS!) which would be enough to forever endear him to me. But he's done oxymorons and anagrams and spoonerisms and tongue tangling poems (in Orangatan Tongs), too. And all of it accompanied by his own wonderfully fun illustrations, no less! Like how can his brain do all that???

I recently got to hear Jon speak, and wouldn't you know that he was funny, clever, and as likable as his books? I bet kids would never forget a Jon Agee visit. In fact, I wish I could have him here presenting to y'all right now, but since I can't... I'm just thrilled to have a poem from him here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

It's Poetry Friday again! You can see the roundup of posts over at Diane's Random Noodling. Go on over and check out all the poetic fun being shard in the Kidlitosphere.

Yesterday, Debbie Levy shared The Garden Secret. Tomorrow... Thalia Chaltas with Today's Topic! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.


8 comments:

Charles Waters said...

Janet from Newark is no one to mess with! AGEE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Schechter said...

I could quibble that Janet's jump doesn't actually qualify for an award if she does not land, as required, on the other side of the bar, but perhaps I would be missing the humor. Very cute poem, nicely done.

Diane Mayr said...

Hi Greg! Jon Agee's droll illustrations are AWESOME! Thanks for featuring his poem. Congrats on The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.! I'll write up an order card for it tomorrow, when I'm back at work.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!

tanita✿davis said...

I just love that Palindromania is a word. It SHOULD BE a word.

Bridget Magee said...

Fun poem! My daughters always enjoy Jon Agee's picture books. Thanks for sharing his all the poet's work this month. I'm enjoying your posts.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Jon Agee sounds like my kinda guy! Thanks, Greg!

Ruth said...

Perfect last line!