Monday, April 13, 2009

Lee Bennett Hopkins - SPRING

SPRING
by
Lee Bennett Hopkins

Roots
sprouts
buds
flowers

always--
always--
cloud-bursting showers

rhymes
April fools
fledglings on wing

no thing
is
newer
or
fresher
than
spring.


From the forthcoming, SHARING THE SEASONS (McElderry Books).
©2009 Lee Bennett Hopkins. All rights reserved.
Used by permission of Curtis Brown, Ltd.


Lee Bennett Hopkins is this year's recipient of the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children. He's a dynamic speaker, an incredible poet, a remarkable anthologist, and a tireless champion for children's poetry and poets. And he loves chocolate!

Like he has been to countless others, Lee has been generous to me with his knowledge and time and has been an inspiration with his enthusiasm and passion for what he does. 30 Poets/30 Days would not likely exist had I never met him and been so caught up in his love of "passing the poetry," so to speak. I'm incredibly happy to be able to publicly say "Thanks, Lee!" like I know many have before. And now that I'm done with my selfish part... I'm also incredibly happy to give you a sneak peak at a poem from his upcoming SHARING THE SEASONS (illustrated by David Diaz).

Oh, yeah... one more thing. I hope you'll all join me in wishing Lee a happy birthday!

Yesterday brought us All Eyes by Nikki Grimes. Tomorrow... Villanelle: Why I Love Libraries by Linda Sue Park (just in time for National Library Week!).

15 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

Please feel free to use the comments here as a "virtual birthday card" for Lee. I'll make sure he sees any and all good wishes!

Happy Birthday, Lee!

laurasalas said...

I love that repetition of "always." And I love the anticipation and speeding up--perfectly captures spring.

Happy Birthday, Lee! May the coming year be as filled with joy and poetry as the one just past.

Best,
Laura Salas

tanita✿davis said...

We're having those "always, always, cloud-bursting showers," here, but the freshness and fledglings are more than making up for it. Lovely poem, and happy birthday to that stellar poet, Mr. Hopkins!

rebecca said...

Happy birthday (again) Lee!!!

Lee truly is a very special human being.

And Greg, thank you for all that you have done for poetry and poets both. What enthusiasm you have.

I'd like to add
my thanks for this entire fantastic poetry party we've all
had a chance to read here.
So many poems that I love and poets
that I admire. And also many of
the blog posters/bloggers who
I have come to know either by name
or by web-meet :)

I'll continue to read all with excitement. Thanks again Greg.
Rebecca

rebecca said...

oh darn, p.s. sorry I don't know
how to Twitter yet, I just figured
out these postings here (my thanks
to Laura Salas for trying a few times to enlighten me.) Would love
to join you on Twitter if I can
figure it out.
R

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday Lee!

And thanks for helping make the 30 days of poetry happen.

I've been reading every day and enjoying it so much!

Again, Happy Birthday!

janeyolen said...

Hopkins, Lee
You gotta be
The bestest
Anthologist
In the Galaxy.


xxx and birthday wishes,

Jane

THALIA CHALTAS said...

Lee! (Or LBH, as I call you to meself!)

Birthday greetings!
Happenstance meetings!
Joyful grins and delectable eatings!

love you, hawney!
~Thalia Chaltas
ps: Greg, you are the best, and happy birthday to you whenever that happens for ya. tc

LEE BENNETT HOPKINS said...

Sir Greg:

I fell in love with you and your enthusiasm the first time we met
at SCBWI.

Thank you for all you do to bring
children (and adults) and books together.

Who could not appreciate your Poetry Month display.

What a special man, you are.

Thank you...thank you.

Love-ness

Lee Bennett Hopkins

claudia said...

What a lovely gift to all of us on your birthday, Lee. Happy Natal Day!

Linda said...

Greg, this is so much fun! Thanks for the poetry!

Anonymous said...

I have a tendency to get along well with other Aries . . . I should have realized that's one of the reasons I like Lee so very much!

Great poem - will be on the lookout for the new book!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday here, too, Lee. You know you have a special place in my heart.

Here's hoping the year ahead is filled with wonder.

Susan Taylor Brown

Kelly Polark said...

Love, love, love the ending!
Happy Birthday, Lee!

Rita said...

That is just lovely. Thank you so much, and many happy returns!!