Friday, March 23, 2007

Oddaptation: Guess How Much I Love You

It's Oddaptation time once again, and for those new in these parts, I hope you'll look to the links to the right to get a fuller sense of what that means. But in short, I like to think of Oddaptations as being like Spark Notes or Cliff Notes of picture books (usually in rhyme and with the synopsis and the... uh... analysis all wrapped together. If you can call it analysis as opposed to saying I need analysis!).

Anyway, with no further ado, I hope you can all guess how much I love you. Or, if you can't, I hope you read the Oddaption of the same name....


GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU
by Sam McBratney

Oddaptation by Gregory K.

Said Big Nut Brown Hare to Little Nut Brown Hare
“No matter how much you love, I will love more-r
I’ll always love you more than you’ll love me.”
“No you won’t.”
“Yes I will.”
“No you won’t.”
“Yes I will.”
And Little Nut Brown Hare thought long and deep
And knew it was pointless… so drifted to sleep.


Hey, hey, it's Poetry Friday, and Elaine at the Blue Rose Girls has the roundup of links.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee hee hee -- love it!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done.

I heard Kevin O'Malley (author/illustrator) talk about this once at a conference, and he says most folks read it incorrectly as a sweet affirmation of love, when in fact, it's a competition between father and son. Taken in that light (with an emphatic, jabbing point at the ending "and back again"), it becomes hilarious.

Gentle Reader said...

Very funny!

My kids never got into that book, though I tried (over and over) to read it to them--maybe it was the competition thing...

Vivian Mahoney said...

Very fun. We loved reading this book to the kids when they were little. It's still a competition when we all try to one up each other on just how much we love one another. Thanks for the smile!

SilberBook-Blog said...

You so funny!

I always had a soft spot for that book when Zach was little....reading it now, yours kind of hits the spot better!

alan