Monday, April 06, 2009

Jaime Adoff - Rock n Roll Dad

Rock n Roll Dad
by
Jaime Adoff

Rock n Roll Dad cooks
in the kitchen
radio blasts
always on ten!!
    It's so LOUD, I have to shout,
    "WHEN ARE WE GOING TO EAT!?"
Dad yells,
    "SOOOOOON!"
Dancing past me with his spoon.
Pots shake,
pans vibrate.
Mom screams:
    "It's an earthquake!"
    "What?" Dad yells back.
    I roll my eyes.
    Mom shakes her head.
Rock n Roll Dad is a little deaf.
    "A lot." Mom says.
    "Too many years playing drums." Rock n Roll Dad shouts, twirling his sticks and stirring the sauce.
    "Can I go to the club with you tonight?" I ask Dad.
    "You're not old enough yet." He answers back.
    "I want to go. I'm eight years old. I’m old enough to Rock n Roll."

    . . . One day I'm gonna play the drums too.
My hands will fly so fast
my sticks will break the speed of sound.
I'll be the best drummer in town.
     I play the plates with my carrot stick-sticks.
Splashing salsa cymbals with my rock n roll chips . . .

©2009 Jaime Adoff. All rights reserved.
Excerpt taken from "Rock n Roll Dad" to be published by Disney-Hyperion


Jaime Adoff rocks. Seriously - he fronted his own band for eight years. And the thing is, his writing rocks, too. In his award winning debut, the poetry collection The Song Shoots Out of My Mouth, and moving to his novel-in-verse Jimi & Me then to his upcoming picture book, Rock n Roll Dad, music is both a part of what he writes and how he writes it: to me, his poetry begs to be performed not just read. And that's true no matter his subject matter....

In his work for teens, Jaime's tackled a range of complex issues, never shying away, as he says, from the good stuff, the bad stuff, the fun stuff, or the tough stuff. He brings that same attitude and vibrancy to his work for younger kids, too, and 30 Poets/30 Days is mighty happy to be bouncing along to his beat today.

Yesterday gave us Owl by Ann Whitford Paul. Tomorrow... In the Museum by Marilyn Singer.

13 comments:

BookChook said...

Teachers are always looking for pieces to perform. I can just see this with added movement, a soundscape, some minimal lighting effects ... wonderful!

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

My father (in his younger, livelier days) played drums and to this day drums on anything and everything. Drives my mother nuts. :)

Cathy C. Hall said...

The dad around here was a Rock 'n Roll DJ and even now, 25 years later, he'll still pull out the 45's and play radio. LOVED this poem and can't wait to find Jaime's work!

Thanks for all these great poet introductions...I've been missing so much fabulous stuff (but I'm catching up!)

Kelly Polark said...

What a fun poem! I'm an avid music lover, too. I'm the one cooking with the music blaring in our house (and my son is the one taking guitar lessons!).

Mark said...

I love this kind of rhythmic poem. It's like a workout for your mouth - mouthnastics! Thanks for this, Jaime and Greg!

jon said...

If we all flick our lighters, will Jaime do an encore?

Yet another great poem!

Dana said...

This could very well be a scene in my own kitchen. The kids had to laugh at this one. (Dad's a musician!)

We're enjoying each day's poem so much. Thanks so much for doing this!

ArborVitae 2.0 said...

Loved this poem! Really makes me feel like I'm there in his kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I love Jaime's work! I can't wait to read Rock n Roll Dad!

Tarie Sabido said...

You're right... I would like to see this performed! I'm sure kids would too!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this nice info, it's so useful for me.

regards,
John SEO

matkavakuutus said...

great poem
you're really artistic
awesome

Qilinpoker.net Agen Poker Domino QQ Ceme Blackjack Terpercaya said...

hi!,I love your writing very so much! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert on this house to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.