Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day After Thanksgiving - a Thanksgiving poem

The Day After Thanksgiving
by
Gregory K.

Yesterday my grandpa pinched my cheek and said I’d grown.
I heard my uncle’s lousy jokes and held back every moan.
I had to watch the football games instead of what I like.
I had to watch my cousins all take turns on my new bike.
I had to take a taste of Auntie’s tofu bean sprout "stuff."
I didn’t get the apple crisp – Mom didn’t make enough!
The table got so messy that I had to clear it twice.
I couldn’t wear my comfy clothes since Dad said, "Please dress nice."
All day I heard my grandma say how crazy my dog drove her.
Today I’m thankful we’re alone ‘cause I’ve got zilch left over.

I hope all of you who celebrated Thanksgiving had a happy day. I did (the above is actually not autobiographical in any way, I'm pleased to say)... and am looking forward to the weekend ahead.

A big thanks to all the folks who have hosted the Poetry Friday roundup, including this week's host Jone! (You can find the roundup here.)

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

11 comments:

Melissa Wiley said...

Love it, Greg! Very funny. :) I'll enjoy sharing this one with my kids.

tanita✿davis said...

Hah! Well, this year I was without family, but I shall dubious joys of being together and remind myself that taking a break is good, too!

Mary Lee said...

A fitting tribute to the fact that sometimes The Day After is sometimes better than The Day Itself!

Joseph D'Agnese said...

Loved this! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Greg!

---Joe D'Agnese

Ruth said...

I like it! :-)

Linda said...

This is a fun poem! I bet a lot of kids are feeling that way today!

Carol H Rasco said...

SO took me back to some pre-teen and teenage Thanksgiving family celebrations I experienced! Thanks, Greg!

Amy L V said...

How funny! There is something about the after-ness of holidays that feels so peaceful. I'm glad you had a good one...we did too! A.

Patak said...

Very funny. Certainly sums up many a Thanksgiving from my teen years.

Julie said...

Ah, the secret thoughts of many kids (but as long as I got to lick the beaters after the cream was whipped, I gladly put up with all the rest of it!)

Cute poem, Greg - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Happy thanksgiving poems
Greetings.net