Friday, April 14, 2006

A smattering of Fibbery.

I'd be lying if I said today wasn't fun. It was. Fun in the type of way I don't often get to experience, so I made a point to step back and enjoy it. And talk to relatives, of course, which was a great time for me.

Other than the Times article (gratuitiously relinked here), I particularly enjoyed this link from an Italian website.

Two places to submit Fibs sprang up, quite different places at that: at the Knitting Curmudgeon and at Perigree blog.

While this particular thread didn't catch fire, it is on the website of the Academy of American Poets, also known as them that throws National Poetry Month. Good company to keep, Fibs!

Already folks have emailed me articles from the Independent and the Irish Independent that appear to be from papers that are out tomorrow (or today over there). To quote from the Independent:

Fibbing, if we can call it that, may be just the thing for a lazy bank holiday weekend. Alternatively, it might just drive you round the bend. And there is the danger, of course, that once you start, devising fibs will become as addictive as crossword-filling or Sudoku-solving.

Finally, once again, I'm truly grateful to all who have posted Fibs here (to find them, scroll down two posts below and/or look to the links over on the right of my blog under the heading The Fibs) and on their own blogs. I've tried to read as many as I can, and I'm truly impressed with the breadth of Fibs... and how some folks truly can say so much with so little.

I look forward to Fibbing this weekend, but it's late now, so I gotta book.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! I am proud to say that fibs came to Greece with great success! My blog is www.alexistamatis.blogspot.com and i am a writer! send ur greek fibs here!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gregory!
Your Greek is fine!
People here are onerwhelmed with the idea. I am a poet and novelist myself, and it really struck me.
I am thinking how to apply it on fiction now...
Take care my friend!
Alexis

Anonymous said...

The MIT Alumni President's speech at MIT's Commencement to the Class of 2000. He had made the Fibonacci Challange to the Class - matching gifts made over 5 years in the amounts of $10, $10, $20, $30 and $50.

[1] I
[1] Am
[2] Ha-ppy
[3] To be here
[5] Con-nect-ting with you.
[8] Cel-e-brate this glor-i-ous day.
[13] We are con-nect-ed by the Fib-on-ac-ci Chal-lenge.
[21] My wish for all of us here, Health, Wealth and Hap-py-ness and the Time to en-joy them all.

Dana said...

I have taken your fib challenge to the world of Food Blogging. Here's the link to my post today.

http://phatduck.blogspot.com/2006/04/whats-poetry-got-to-do-with-pastry.html

Thanks!
Dana

Dana said...

I'll try that again.

phatduck.blogspot.com

lucia said...

My sister let me know about your fib challenge, so I wrote one: Fluffy Scarf Fib

Anonymous said...

New
form:
something
I cannot
resist attempting.
Last week, the Glose; now I'm Fibbing...

Anonymous said...

You
are
clever
happily
starting a trend that
teaches and entertains all Fibs

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey, Gregory K. The NY Times article featuring your fibulous blog post inspired me to write a post of my own. If you get a chance to check it out, I hope you enjoy, I certainly enjoyed writing it, and have you to thank.


http://spaces.msn.com/icarriedawatermelon/blog/cns!7D8FEEB877DF669!854.entry

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gregory. Just like the Fibonacci sequence itself, your fibs are expanding exponentially! You even got Mr. A to send you one! The Italian link was especially cool! And I'm so glad to hear that you're taking time to enjoy the great success of your poetic invention. Again, hearty congrats!

David

Anonymous said...

interesting idea

Sandra said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hadn't noticed your invitation to put our fibs in your comments. here's the one i posted today. great idea!


for
all
broken,
angry hearts
may begin to heal
when forgiveness is an option

Unknown said...

This Fib thing is out of control.

(Notice that I capitalize "Fib." It's the editor in me; I can't help myself.)

Thanks for the link, Gregory. I may have a Fib contest once a year now. Getting a lot of entries to my contest. And all for two lousy skeins of yarn to the winner.

Knitters do love free and Fibonacci.

Marilyn
The Knitting Curmudgeon

Ahistoricality said...

I love it (I'm a haiku and limerick fan, too), but it could be a bit more precise, I think. What it needs, to be a true fibonacci, is a marker of the silent syllable. Done properly, it could add tone and depth to the form

Anonymous said...

Now I know why math teachers say that what they teach does indeed relate to the real world!! This is riveting!!!

Fib #1

Cool
Drink
Coffee
Starbucks soon
Caffe mocha now
Off to Williams Hall forever....

Fib #2

To
Write
Witty
Fibbery
Really takes some skill
On that note it is time to go....

Anonymous said...

can
you
notice me
an invisible
actually, eager, determined.

Anonymous said...

I am another kitty, and someone who has never, ever posted on a blog before . . . I don't even know if I'm "doing it" correctly! BUT . . . Here is my "mama's" FIB, written before we knew it could only be six lines:

"Two
Warm
Kitties
Siamese
Peacefully snoozing
Soaking up puddles of sunshine
Gracing my windowsill, watching the sunbeams slide by."

And yes, there are two of us.

Signed,

Pixel & MacIntosh

Anonymous said...

HI
I
love this
new school work
to do at my house
and I always get A's in this class.