Sunday, April 07, 2013

Tamera Will Wissinger - The Judge of Fudge

The Judge of Fudge
by
Tamera Will Wissinger

Long ago a renowned candy judge
Who loved lemon drops, toffee, and fudge
Found that each yummy taste
Would go straight to his waist--
Now that fudge-loving judge cannot budge.
 
©Tamera Will Wissinger. All rights reserved.

Oooh! Dessert! Yes, Tamera Will Wissinger's poem today makes me happy due to food-ness alone. Yet a bigger part of my glee is that good limericks make it look so easy, but the truth is it's a form that's hard to write well. I mean, you wouldn't know it from looking at The Judge of Fudge... and that's exactly why I was so happy, you see.

I first ran into Tamera via her blogging, not immediately aware that she was a poet, too. Then... kaboom! There was Gone Fishing, her novel in verse (with illustrations by Matthew Cordell), and it hits what I think is this really great middle grade sweet spot: telling a relatable story (with poems!), using different poetic forms within the text, and then explaining it all with back matter, too.

It's exciting to see her debut novel - just out last month! - and I know I'm looking forward to the next book from Tamera, too. In the meantime, I'm thrilled to have her here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday, Doug Cushman gave us Olympic Sprouts. Tomorrow... Sing it Loud from Jill Corcoran! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

3 comments:

Charles Waters said...

I can't wait to read her book. This is why I love 30/30. Find out about more poets I haven't heard of before but look forward to meeting through their written works!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

:)

tanita✿davis said...

Ah, limericks.
I'm now thinking of something to rhyme with "tush..."