Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Robert Schechter - Mistaken Identity

The "Just Because" Hug
by
Robert Schechter

Bears will hug you cause they're mean, 
    so watch out for their claws!
But I don't hug you cause I'm nice.
    I hug you just because.

There is no rule that says I must.
    There are no 'hugging laws,'
no hidden motives to discuss. 
    I hug you just because.

I do not hug you to reward
    your virtues or your flaws.
Can you guess the reason why
    I hug you?  Just because.

When life's too busy, rushing by,
    sometimes I like to pause 
and wrap my arms around you.  Why?
    I hug you just because.
                    
Just because I have two arms.
    Be glad it's not two paws!
Just because it feels so good,
    I hug you.  Just because.   


©Robert Schechter. All rights reserved.

Through the wonders of social media, I've been lucky enough to know Robert Schechter for awhile now. He has answered many a poetry query of mine and, as you can see, can just flat out write.

I highly recommend you read (and listen to) a couple of Bob's poems that have been in Highlights - Colors and My Nose - both of which have a similar voice that makes me wonder... hmmm... is it Bob who has this wonderful world view? If it is, well, that'd just add to the reasons I'm so happy to have Robert Schechter here today as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

Yesterday, Jill Corcoran encouraged us to Sing it Loud. Tomorrow... Nancy Bo Flood with Immigrants's Song: Coal Dust, Peppers, and Tomatoes! For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.

11 comments:

Tabatha said...

Liked this a lot!

Linda B said...

Wonderful to read, and to think about all the misconceptions people think. More ideas for poems!

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite so far, fun!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

BIG fan of this one! Thanks Robert (and Greg!)
Lee

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, wow - this is so very childlike in its reasoning, I love it.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This one is simply charming. It's going to stick with me for a long time. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

My stand out favorite so far. Absolutely love it - and not just for the great meter. Robert, I'm inspired!

Diana Murray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Murray said...

Beautiful poem! Childlike and sophisticated at the same time.

Charles Waters said...

Science, poetry, WIN WIN.

Bob Schechter said...

Thank you all for reading my poem and leaving such generous comments. I'm glad you liked it.

Please friend me on Facebook and add me on Google Plus if you haven't already done so;\

Bob