Friday, April 19, 2013

Kristin Elizabeth Clark - Pronoun

Pronoun
by
Kristin Elizabeth Clark

A pronoun is a ghost
of who you really are
short
sharp
harsh

whispering its presence
taunting your soul

in you
of you
but not
all you.

Struggling my own
He She
Him Her
I You

Scared that
for scrambled-pronoun
Me,

We
might never
exist.

©Kristin Elizabeth Clark. All rights reserved.

I see a title like "Pronoun" and I think I'm getting a grammar poem... and, of course, I am... but oh my, Kristin Elizabeth Clark delivers so much more. This, you'll probably not be shocked to hear, is yet another item on my list of "things Greg loves about poetry."

In her YA debut novel in verse Freakboy, coming out in October, Kristin writes about a gender-fluid kid... and you can see how pronoun issues can take on a very deep meaning. I think everyone who struggles with being labeled and finding their identity can relate, too, even if the journey and triggers are different. (For those on this particular journey, Kristin's new website has a nice list of resources to go with the book, as well.)

Yes, I do love the range of powerful poetry out there. So I'm excited to be able to share Kristin Elizabeth Clark's verse here with you today, looking forward to her October debut, and thrilled to have her as part of 30 Poets/30 Days.

What about some more poetry! Head on over and check out the Poetry Friday roundup today held over at Irene Latham's Live Your Poem blog. Tons of great poetic goodness going on in the Kidlitosphere all month, and you can see a ton of it in one place.

Tomorrow... Jenny Whitehead brings us The Litterbug. For more on 30 Poets/30 Days and ways to follow along, please click here.


4 comments:

Irene Latham said...

It's an identity crisis poem! Love how this poem works on more than one level. Thank you Kristin and Greg!

tanita✿davis said...

This is lovely - it definitely has more than just pronounce panic going on. Existential angst for gender confusion really works. Can't wait to read that book.

Charles Waters said...

Wickedly clever!

Mary Lee said...

Can't wait to share this with my students as we continue our study of the parts of speech.