Thursday, September 07, 2006

Liburied

OK, I know it's not a word, but I had an email asking if we'd opened the school library in conjunction with the first day of school.

Don't be silly! That'd be far too organized and logical. As it is, we're in fine shape to open on schedule in two more weeks, after the rest of the opening kinks get worked out. But let me tell you how unfun it is to move a library from one location to another.

Very.

Now let me tell you how fun it is to put books on shelves again. Even though I know our collection absurdly well, I continue to either find or re-find amazing titles. I'm trying to figure out what the first read-aloud of the year should be (and wondering if I'll make it til opening day or if I'll just grab my book and storm into the classrooms).

If anyone has the perfect "opening book" for me, lemme know....

1 comment:

alvinaling said...

How about Sylvester and the Magic Pebble? I'm not sure what age-group you're talking about here, but that was one of my favorites as a kid, and one of the first books I chose to read for storytime when I started working at B&N. As I was reading it aloud again (I hadn't read it since I was a kid), I remember thinking, Gee, I don't remember this book being so long or depressing...

But then I looked up and saw the entranced faces of the kids, completely absorbed in the story, just as I had been as a child.