Friday, September 29, 2006

A Food Poem: Broccoli and Cauliflower

Here I am trying to get an early jump on the Poetry Friday contingent (now recapped by Liz in this post), so I offer up a very silly original ode to vegetables. Okay, it's not an ode. And it's only to a certain type of vegetable. But Ode to Veggies sounds good, darn it!


BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER
by
Gregory K.

Broccoli and cauliflower
Are vegetables cruciferous,
But any way you serve them up,
They'll make me stay carnivorous.



(for your procrastinatory pleasure, links to this and other poems here on GottaBook are collected to the right under the headline "The Poems".)

8 comments:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

I know this will probably just seem beyond strange. I memorized (I have no idea why) a poem from an activity book that my mother bought for a car trip when I was a kid. Your broccoli and cauliflower poem made it pop right back into my head.

I eat my peas with honey
I done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife.

Your going to ban me from your comments now, aren't you? ;)

Greg Pincus said...

Goodness gracious no, I wouldn't ban ya. I love comments like that! I mean really, now, I just did a big blog post which included my memories of a single line of Peanuts' dialogue, and you gave us a whole poem. Keep at it, I say!

Lisa Yee said...

I LOVE broccoli and cauliflower. Yum!!!

Greg Pincus said...

BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER (for Lisa Yee)

Broccoli and cauliflower
Are vegetables cruciferious,
And when I see them on my plate
I'm glad that I'm herbivorous.

Lisa Yee said...

That's lovely. I'm touched.

Anonymous said...

Love your poetry! Wish I'd had a book of it when I was a spinach-hating kid.
I just published a "lens" at Squidoo:

Fall in Love with Broccoli.
I think you'd appreciate it. :-)

Aliya said...

I HATE BROCCOLI it is absolutely disgusting i absolutely hate it, hate it!

I HATE THE WAY IT IS GREEN
I HATE THE WAY IT LOOKS LIKE A TREE
AND WHEN IT LOOKS AT ME
THAT REALLY, REALLY ANNOYS ME!

Aliya said...

and i hate cauliflower as well
in fact i hate all vegetables however i am really healthy