Friday, September 01, 2006

A First Day of School Poem

THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
by Gregory K.


I don’t know the teacher.
I sure hope she’s nice.
But what if she’s mean with a heart cold as ice???
What about bullies?
There might be a bunch.
And what a disaster if I mess up lunch!
I don’t like that playground:
The slide hits the sky!
And now here at drop-off, I can’t say “goodbye.”
My stomach is queasy.
My stress can’t be greater...
But then a voice calms me,
“Bye, Dad! See ya later!”


Good luck to all parents (yeah, and kids, too) as the first day of school comes 'round once more. And happy Poetry Friday to all!

(for your procrastinatory pleasure, links to this and other poems here on GottaBook are collected to the right under the headline "The Poems".)

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes . . . school is in session
With old friends and new.
The halls have been painted
A robbin's egg blue.
The playground, the bullies,
And daily homework
The boy who pulls pig tails
Well. . . He's such a jerk.
My mother's elated
Not one once of worry,
She scoots me, and hugs me,
Geeze, "What is the hurry?"
My mother, oh yes, she's a jubilant sight.
"I'll see you at three."
I am going to write.
"But what about breakfast?"
And where is my lunch?
I can't wear pajama's
Least that is my hunch,
My mother, oh yes, she's a jubilant sight.
She's roused me for school
In the middle of night.

Kelly said...

Love it, Gregory! You brought a tear to my eye and then made me laugh at myself :) Just replace dad with mom.

Don Tate II said...

We survived, Greg. My son always does so well in situations like this, he was the star of the show.

Anonymous said...

That's excellent, Greg! Made me go "awwww" at the end. Good luck with the new school year!

Anonymous said...

Greate Greg

Anonymous said...

your poems are fantastic it helped me with my homework

Anonymous said...

can i use your poem for a school homework ? my teacher wants us to find a poem about the first day of school . thanks for writing a poem that i really needed . thank you ! (:

Anonymous said...

I really dont like thi poem its boring so whatev any1 no any good websites for School Poems doing homework need sites please

Heidi Lynnski said...

I love the poem! Today is the 1st day of school for my "almost" step-son (my bf's son)... and it is usually harder for Jon, the dad/my bf than it is for Jackson, the one starting school! I emailed him this poem, so thanks for posting it! I hope he gets a kick out of it as much as I did, which I am sure he will!

Trenton said...

I love this poem it brought me back to my child's first day at school and how i felt. if you don't mind i would love to use it for back to school nite