Thursday, July 12, 2007

Power struggle...

I'm not one who's big on omens and signs and such, but every now and then even I take the hint. Last night, I came home late and was gonna do a bit of work. The power had gone out while I was gone, however, so I went around and got all the clocks re-set, restarted the dishwasher, all that good stuff. I finished the last clock, walked over to my computer and sat down... and all the lights went off. Once again it was blinking 12 o'clock.

Sure, I coulda lit a single candle or cursed the darkness... but instead I turned off my computer (bless the UPS backup!) and went to bed. I was reminded, though, of a day in my distant past when a power outage cost me 20 pages of a script that I had failed to back up. At all. Not on a floppy or the ginormous 40mb (yes, megabyte) external hard disk that all my friends had pooled their money to get me for a birthday present since such a big beast was wayyy out of my price range. Ahhhh, memories (and geeky ones at that!).

5 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

Perhaps you have a ghost in your house.

SilberBook-Blog said...

Sorry about the power - But remember: "geeky memories" are our livlihood!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Gregory,

My computer crashed early Monday morning. No...I didn't back up my files. Shame on me. I don't know that status of my hard drive yet. Send good vibes my way, will ya?

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Hmm...geeks and dorks. Perhaps it's the wave of the future in coolness.

Rita said...

That wave is here. And all these stories of not backing up give me nightmares. I have to go backup now.

Ayy.

Once, I spilled water on my laptop. I was confident the information was fine, but the laptop would no longer turn on. So, I sent the hard drive out to get all the files off it.

That was fairly traumatic.

The next day, a burglar broke in and stole my laptop. Without the hard drive in it.

Then, that water-spilling incident became awesome.

r