Monday, July 31, 2006

Getting a jump on the week.

If I had one word to use to describe the Summer SCBWI Conference, and explain why I keep going back, that word would be "inspiring." Or maybe it would be fun. Or friends. Or informative. Or exhausting. Or... well, the point is, I don't have to use just one word.

Anyway, yesterday I got some of that same mix when I attended a Harry Potter podcast here in LA. There were over 300 people there, and I can safely say that about 95% of the conversation was totally over my limited-Potter-head. But the thing is, to see that many people talking about something that a writer created -- a writer, like I'm a writer -- and to see them really analyzing literary conventions, subtext, imagery, you name it... it's simply fantastic. I think one question came from a seven year old, and there were certainly people far older than yours truly.

PLUS, I got to yak with, among others, Disco Mermaid Eve, Lisa Yee, AND Cheryl Klein. That alone encompasses most of the word choices I batted around up above. Excellent times indeed, and really has whet my appetite for the upcoming four days o' kid-book insanity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got to see Emerson, Melissa, and HOTTT Cheryl? You lucky!

I listen to Pottercast (Melissa) and Mugglecast (Emerson's site) weekly and I totally wish I could go to one of the talks.

Greg Pincus said...

Yes, I saw them all. They were very entertaining, as well as knowledgeable, of course. Good fun, even for one with weaker Potter depth than most.

Nancy said...

Hey there. I'm so excited I had to tell you -- I'm going to a benefit show on Wednesday night called "An Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp" (Rowling, King and Irving all together on one stage).

By the way, thanks for visiting the blog. I'm happy to have readers, especially friendly ones!

Greg Pincus said...

Oooooh, that's gonna be a fascinating evening. Not that tickets were cheap, but I was surprised that they weren't five times as expensive. What a lineup!

Have a fantastic time, and make sure you blog about it after!

Lisa Yee said...

Do you feel smarter, having watched/listened to the live podcast? Or dumber?

(I feel dumber.)

Hey, thanks for the water!

Greg Pincus said...

You must be kidding. I felt like everyone else was discussing some other series of books that shared a couple character names with what I'd read. I, moron.

I am hopeful the SCBWI Conference will be better air-conditioned than the podcast event, though I hear it was cool as could be online....

Thetoymakers said...

Greg! Hello!

It was great to meet you and the faboo Eve! I'm looking forward the SCBWI conference too and was excited to hear about your Jade outfits = AWESOME!

See you Friday and hoping that the air conditioning working full blast too!

Best thoughts,

Marilyn

Greg Pincus said...

For the record, Marilyn, it ain't ME with a Jade outfit. That's the Mermaids who do costumes.

It was nice meeting you, too, and I wish I coulda hung out longer to really meet ya. I gotta encourage everyone to check out your website if they haven't already. Or even if they have! Gooooood stuff! And see you Friday.