Monday, February 15, 2010

The Writing Olympics

Why aren't there such a thing as the Writing Olympics? I mean, I can close my eyes and hear the commentators at the Poetry event...

"Oh, he nailed that double dactyl! In practice his rhythm was off, but he landed perfectly on his metrical feet tonight!"

The judges in the Free Verse arena would no doubt be a cause of controversy. Over in persuasive writing, no one would know what to think for long. And the winner in the Crime category would always be accused of having stolen victory from the jaws of defeat.

Feel free to leave other categories here or tell me where I can find the actual Writing Olympics. Cuz I'm in! I've been training for this my whole life....

4 comments:

Beth Mithen said...

And in the WhoDunIt rink, the Butler is a shoe-in for the gold! Fun thoughts! I do love watching the olympics!

Unknown said...

Here you go!
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum341.html

The Young Writers Society is a website for those 13 to 25 and started doing a Writing Olympics with the 2008 games in Beijing.

Anonymous said...

At the 2008 Skagit RIver Poetry Festival, the Irish poet Tony Curtis read a very funny poem about the Writing Olympics.
I haven't seen it in print, though.

Jonathan said...

Haven't you heard the Monty Python routine "Novel Writing" where announcers give a play by play of Hardy writing "Return of the Native"?