Friday, February 27, 2009

Reasons Why I Don't Write -- a procrastination poem/a writing poem

This is actually a repost of the very first poem I blogged, just over three years ago. It was (and is!) aimed more at my writer friends, as that pretty much was my entire audience back then (all 11 visitors that day, I believe!), but it still seems accurate to me....


REASONS WHY I DON’T WRITE
by
Gregory K.

Errands
Cooking
Cleaning up

Nothing
In my
Coffee cup

Snail mail
E-mail
Blogging, too

Crosswords
Comics
Sudoku

Phone calls
Lunches
Fear of debt

Daydreams
Nap times
Internet

Laundry
Sunsets
Batting cage

“Research”
iTunes
Empty page



The Poetry Friday roundup is at Mommy's Favorite Children's Books today. Go on over and check it out!

And if you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!


12 comments:

J. E. Morris said...

I love your poem. All those things also apply to illustrating. It's so hard the avoid the distractions - like reading other people's blogs :)

tanita✿davis said...

Aaargh! I just reread Cory Doctorow's Writing in the Age of Distraction. Pretty much the only thing he doesn't mention is the batting cages. This is WAY too much like me...!

Kelly Polark said...

Wow! All that and more! Great poem!

Yat-Yee said...

I can so relate! "research" Ha!

Julie said...

GREAT list! I would have to add "Can't find glasses" and "Broken pencils" and maybe "pens/no ink" " or "garden calling" and maybe oh...oh...oh, there's always something.

Mary Lee said...

So true. I get so much "work" done on the computer while the WORK sits on the table and glares at me.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is very clever and true! Thanks for reposting.

Karen Edmisten said...

Love it, Gregory!

I'll add:

Blogging
Poetry
and friends
Procrastination
never
ends

Elaine Magliaro said...

Gregory,

Well done! I can definitely relate to this poem. Thanks for reposting it. I hadn't read it before.

Anonymous said...

I love the last line "Empty Page". Somehow I experienced that the last time I wrote my essay.

Nikki said...

This was cool and a source of inspiration. As part of Poetry Per Day Penning, I wrote a parody of this. Today is my Parody Day. Please do not be offended. I will post it soon...there are reasons I can't post right now (excuses, excuses,...)LOL. The Title is currently Parody Day
REASONS WHY I CAN’T WRITE RIGHT NOW
By Nikki G. first draft written today from 5:15 to 5:30.

Greg Pincus said...

Nikki -- thanks for leaving the parody. I enjoyed it... but knowing the folks who come here, from the many elementary school classes right on up, I've chosen to enjoy it in private! Keep on writing!