Friday, December 06, 2013

To Pie! - a pie poem

To Pie!
by
Greg Pincus

Pie! Pie! My word, I love pie.
I've loved it since birth, and I will 'til I die.
I love it in summer and winter and I
Will eat it with whipped cream, or ice cream, or dry
And with any filling that catches my eye
(To date I've not seen one that I wouldn't try).
Dutch apple and chocolate cream both make me cry.
Blueberry, rhubarb, or pecan? I sigh.
A slice is a gift that I just can't deny.
A full pie is better, of course. I can't lie!
So join in my toast with your fork raised up high -
"Here's to the best food of all! Here's to pie!"

 
While pie is a big part of The 14 Fibs of Gregory K., the opening lines of this poem predate the first draft of the book, perhaps proving that old adage "write what you know."

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is hosted by Robyn Hood Black over at her blog. Go check it out for gobs of poetry goodness (including a visit from the president of the Haiku Society of America!)

And if you want to get all the poems (and not the other posts) here at GottaBook emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!
 

for fun, pie from my launch party

8 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

To pie! To pie! L'chaim!

Margaret Simon said...

A yummy skip-hopping poem. My apple pie at Thanksgiving disappeared quickly. Happy holiday to you!

Author Amok said...

I had my fill of pie at Thanksgiving. The desserts were delicious and not one mud pie in the bunch (the first "recipe" I ever learned).

KarolinaS said...

I actually rarely have pie but greatly look forward to it at thanksgiving. Only this year...THERE WAS NO PIE! I was gravely disappointed. Guess I'll have to wait 'til next year...

Donna Smith said...

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't like pie? At our house, when the Thanksgiving sweet pies are gone, we have leftover turkey pie...oh, my! Now there's a pie!

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Ours is sometimes called "the pie family" for our love of the stuff. This poem will become our pledge, Greg!

WriterSideUp said...

I have never known a pie-loving guy the likes of you, Greg :D

Mary Lee said...

YUM!!