Thursday, December 16, 2010

26,522

What, you may ask, is the significance of 26,522? Well, thanks to an article brought to my attention by the wonderful author Erica Silverman, I can tell you that that's the number of children's and YA books published in 2009 (at least per the Library and Book Trade Almanac).

What's not clear is how many of them are traditionally published vs. self-published (and Harold Underdown said on Twitter that he believes these stats include the self-pubbed titles). No matter what, though... that's a lotta books!

1 comment:

Terry Doherty said...

I'm not sure that does include self-published books. When I was doing research on if/why we needed a Reading Tub back in 2003, I found stats suggesting that there were 22-25,000 books for children/teens published in the preceeding year. Back in 2002, self-publishing wasn't really on the radar ... at least not enough for the big stat collectors to take seriously.