Sunday, April 13, 2014

30 Poets/Day 13 - Lee Bennett Hopkins and Kurt Cyrus

For my East Coast (U.S.) friends, I think Lee Bennett Hopkins' poem will strike a particular chord this year. And Kurt Cyrus' poem, well, there's probably no day that it doesn't resonate for someone reading here. And for that, I'm sorry... though not sorry for sharing these two with you today!

SPRING
by
Lee Bennett Hopkins

Roots
sprouts
buds
flowers

always--
always--
cloud-bursting showers

rhymes
April fools
fledglings on wing

no thing
is
newer
or
fresher
than
spring.

From SHARING THE SEASONS (McElderry Books).
©2009 Lee Bennett Hopkins. All rights reserved.
Used by permission of Curtis Brown, Ltd.
(Click here to see the original post and comments)



The Big Snore
by
Kurt Cyrus

Mama's wrecking furniture inside her throat tonight.
She drags a table to the left, then scrapes it to the right,
rips it with a chainsaw till it's just a pile of chips,
grinds it down to sawdust, and--

poofs it out her lips.

© 2010 Kurt Cyrus. All rights reserved.
(Click here to see the original post and comments)

Yesterday brought us poems by Nikki Grimes and Kathi Appelt. Tomorrow... Linda Sue Park and Arthur A. Levine.

Please click here for more information about this year's edition of 30 Poets/30 Days, including ways to follow along.

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

SHARING THE SEASONS is such a phenomenal seasonal poetry anthology! I was just sharing it with some Minnesota educators last week. As for Kurt's poem (I'm a huge fan of HOTEL DEEP!), I'll just say I'm glad my husband had sleep apnea surgery:>)