Wednesday, January 09, 2008

That's a lotta books!

It's no secret that I love picture books. OK, maybe it's a secret to YOU, but that's only cuz you haven't paid attention. But the truth is, I love reading 'em, and I love writing 'em... though I admit I find them the hardest thing to write. Ever.

Anyway, I read lots of picture books, too, but I've never undertaken a project quite like my friend Sara did. And what did she do? She read 1,000 picture books in 100 days. I kid you not. Check it out!

Now, she didn't do this just cuz she's nutty, of course. She did this to study the books and figure out what makes great picture book writing. A great idea, indeed. So... maybe I'll go a little slower, but I'm gonna read, read, read! OK, fine... and sometimes just look at Sara's list for good ideas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing... isn't she? That much passion is bound to pay off big time.
I'm just surprised YOU haven't read that many...
maybe not in a 100 day time frame, but still, your passion is just as inspiring.
-Monique Ruiz

Greg Pincus said...

Yes, Monique, she's amazing (and well-read!). And yes, I'm sure I've read 1000 picture books, but Sara was reading them with a real purpose as opposed to reading them for pleasure (which she also did) or reading them aloud. She was doing it with an intent that most of my reading doesn't have, and I think that makes a difference.

MotherReader said...

I'm glad you wrote about it. I think I have to add a new blogroll link. Darn, I had just finished.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Oh I have a new hero in Sara.

Jules, 7-Imp