Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A bad case of the blahgs....

Yep. I've got the blahgs. I've had 'em for awhile, truth be told, but hadn't fully fessed up to myself. But one only need look at the last handful of Poetry Friday posts around here (or lack thereof) to see that something is amiss hereabouts.

Now, it's not that I still don't love blogging. Of course I do. I love the community, the form, all that. It's just... hmmm. I don't know what it is, actually.

So I ask all of y'all, many of whom I know have been blogging longer than I have, what have you done when the blahgs have gotten you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, I have thought a hundred times this summer of taking an extended blog vacation, but ended up not doing it. What I did was to start writing a little bit more about books for adults. My focus is still the kids' books, but expanding the boundaries just a little has helped the blahgs. And I got some chickens.

Disco Mermaids said...

I just make stuff up.

Just pretend things are more exciting than they are. All the responses you get will make you feel much better. Plus, it helps you realize what does and doesn't work with fiction.

- Jay

Terry P. said...

Greg,

Based on my own experience and what many of my writer friends tell me, this is typical of summer. We get off our routine in the summer with kids and spouses around more (if your spouse is a teacher), vacations, etc. I've found that rather than trying to keep up and feel guilty about doing a half-a** job, I just give myself permission to take a break.

I post on my website (where I post a joke of the week for kids), that I'm taking the summer off, but I always resume when school starts. As far as blogging, why don't you just let folks know that you won't be posting as much. Maybe just one a week, until you get back into the groove? It sounds like you haven't lost your mojo, it just got a little sidetracked ;-).

Stephanie J. Blake said...

um...mojitos?

Maybe you need to do something exciting and blog about it.

Or you could complain about something. Use one of the sayings on your t-shirts as a jumping off place.

Rita said...

I like Colorado Writer's advice: "You could complain about something." That strikes me as funny.

SilberBook-Blog said...

Just don't do what I do: which is nothing!