Thursday, June 22, 2006

The top 25 nouns!

Oh, baby, the excitement. The Concise Oxford English Dictionary has announced the top 25 nouns (as in the "most often used"). Using the Oxford English Corpus (lots of real words tracked), the top 25 nouns are...

time, person, year, way, day, thing, man, world, life, hand, part, child, eye, woman, place, work, week, case, point, government, company, number, group, problem, fact.


There is some controversy, of course. Many believe that "part" has been taking performance enhancing drugs in an attempt to move up the list. Also, "death" and "taxes" maintain there is a cultural bias that keeps them off the list. Nonetheless, I present the list without editorial comment, as I know that you can barely contain your excitement at seeing it.

(related article right here)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. Thanks for the list. I can tell you, in a Second Grade Literacy Block, thing is the most common word. At least at the start of the year, after we work on "specific nouns" they get better.

Anonymous said...

Must contain my excitement over this list. I am going to eat a cookie, that will help calm me down...that and a cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

That's so cute.

Corpus studies are my weakness. That and chocolate.

Unknown said...


There are certain point in our life that we encounter failure but it doesn't mean you will
lose hope and give up everything but it only means that every failure there's an
exchange and that is new beginning. Well, thank you for sharing your article and
keep on posting. Visit my site too for more information.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com