Monday, February 10, 2014

This Post is Kinda Dumb....

So, on Sunday afternoon, I visited the one and only Dumb Starbucks in the US. All of us in line knew we were part of something that was art or a promotion or both, and I don't think anyone was waiting (and waiting and waiting!) for the free coffee. We were waiting because it was fun. It was community. It was... dumb in the best way!

What is Dumb Starbucks? Well, it's a place that is a "working
Dumb Venti, Dumb Grande, Dumb Tall
coffee shop" that looks like Starbucks, has a menu board like Starbucks, appropriates the logo of Starbucks... but simply adds the word "Dumb" in front of everything. Well, except the seasonal drink, the "Wuppy Duppy Latte." (Quoth the barista when asked what the drink was, "It's whatever you want it to be.")

It was exceedingly well done, including three Dumb CDs (one of which was part of a whole series of dumb music of the world).

And yes, it turns out that the whole thing is the brainchild of Nathan Fielder who hosts a Comedy Central show called Nathan For You. He claims there will be one in Brooklyn in two weeks, in fact, though who knows if it'll happen.

It wasn't just performance art which might've been more satisfying, but the way it played out was probably the same regardless. Here's the message from the founder that keeps in the spirit of the launch.

Now, I was gonna tie this into a writing post ("pay attention to detail") or a social media post ("go viral with IP borrowing at your own risk!") or both... but I decided, no, I'd just share my dumb experience. I got my drink, had a blast, and got more than enough enjoyment out of it to pay me back for my time. It was a win!

I hope you had an equally enjoyable weekend....






5 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

0_o
How is that even legal? Starbucks is so picky about their brand and their copyright... The word "dumb" just makes it not Starbucks?

CRAZY.

Wait, I call dibs. I'm going to have a Crazy Noah's Bagels...

Alex said...

I saw this on TV the other day and cracked up, so I am glad to hear of a possbile Brooklyn store. Putting "dumb" in front makes it a parody which than makes it legal.

Evelyne Holingue said...

I heard about it on the radio and was curious to know if you knew who was behind. Like your picture!

:Donna Marie said...

OK, this is a brilliantly "dumb" idea. I hope this kid really breaks out with it :)

WriterSideUp said...

OK, this is a brilliantly "dumb" idea. I hope this kid really breaks out with it :