Friday, November 18, 2011

Poetry Re-Issue: An Ode to Air Travel

An Ode to Air Travel (Upon Flying Cross-Country in Seat 31A)
by
Gregory K.

My seat belt is fastened – it’s snug and secure.
Been sitting here hours... and feels it for sure.
I finished my books during airport delays.
It turns out my iPod’s been uncharged for days.
I’ve studied the plane wing: I’ve counted the rivets.
I’ve noted my seat cushion’s deepening divots.
I spilled all my water (my pants are still drying).
I hear one babe cooing... and 17 crying.
The man right behind me drones stories so boring,
I think I’m preferring my seat-mate’s wheezed snoring.
My back aches in tense, upright, locked tight position.
It’s clear 30A has a stomach condition.
Yet just when I think I can’t take anymore,
And I’m wishing my window would turn to a door,
I hear these great words (over 30B’s cough),
“This is your captain… we’re cleared to take off!”

(This poem originally appeared here at GottaBook on October 12, 2007)

This week's Poetry Friday roundup is up over at Tabatha Yeatts: The Oppostive of Indifference. Go on over and check out the links AND the blog....

If you want to get all my poems emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Your poem makes me glad I'm not going anywhere today! :-) Thanks for sharing it.

Alex said...

I am not a big fan of flying these days, so I really loved your poem. Thanks for posting it.

catherinemjohnson.com said...

That's awesome! My husband used to fly a lot, I'll have to show him this.

Linda B said...

Great to include so many common experiences! It really isn't much of an exaggeration. Happy Travels anyway!

I'm Jet . . . said...

Oh ho!

Good one . . .

Robyn Hood Black said...

Had a somewhat similar experience not long ago - if you throw in raging thunderstorms! Funny - thanks for sharing.

JoAnn Early Macken said...

Ha! Yes! I recognize the details. Happy traveling!

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, eek. I hate flying, and we'll probably be moving from the UK soonish - am not looking forward to the long flight on top of everything else!!!

KarolinaS said...

Nice! I'll be right there with you next month...

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Ah, how this captures the joys of air travel! :-)